Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Expedia rocks!

I booked a plane ticket for my mom last night for $182 - ouch...it was supposedly $75ish (+taxes) last week when USAir was doing some sort of sale, but the sale was over, she needed that ticket, so I booked it. For whatever reason I checked the price again today and it was $85. For the EXACT same ticket! I called USAir and the first lady was very polite, but basically said, "I can change it for you, but there's a $150 change fee so that wouldn't really be a good choice. Write the complaint people and see if they can do anything for you." Yeah...wrote that email, then started wondering if I could just buy the second ticket, not show up for the first ticket's flight, and get a credit for the first ticket. The "unused ticket" info on the site said, "Call customer service." The second guy was just a jerk, but he made the comment that I booked it through a 3rd party, blah, blah and that I could only get a $182 credit and then pay another $150 to use the credit later. 3rd party? The hamster is starting to jog..."Ah, yes, I did use expedia....Hmmm...I wonder if they can do anything...they've at least given me coupons in the past when something didn't work out well." So...I checked their website and they have a 24 hour price guarantee!!! I just called, told the lady the fare on USAir was $85 today, she verified it, put me on hold forever, then came back to say there was a $98 credit being sent to my credit card and I would get a $50 credit in my expedia account!! I think it may have even been 25 hours since I bought the first one (though I don't remember exactly what time I bought it.) While I always liked them (and their coupons!) Expedia just moved up on my list of favorite things...so I'm feeling like a bit of free advertising for them tonight.

No comments: