Friday, March 11, 2011

I love these collars!

I have no idea where Bear's came from (which really drives me a little - or a lot - crazy) BUT I was searching for a similar one for Smokey. Turns out they are called Martingale with a clip. Essentially a normal collar - but there is an extra little loop section that has an extra ring on it. If you hook the leash to the first ring, it acts exactly like a normal collar.

When you hook it to the other ring it makes that little piece of collar slide a little so the rest of the collar gets tighter! AWESOME! The dog doesn't have to have a really tight collar all the time, but he also can't pull out of it while on a leash since everytime he pulls, it just tightens it down a couple inches. AND he can't choke himself with it since it only tightens a couple inches - not all the way like a choke collar - just enough that he can't get it over his head. Did I mention AWESOME?!

After hours of searching, I couldn't find another one like Bear's (which is the better design) but I did find a place that would add a buckle to a Martingale - and they had flames! The hard to find part was the Martingale WITH a buckle. There were lots that have either or, but I really like the buckle so you can get it off without having to pull it over his head.

Why are they glowing like that you ask? Because I added some cool reflective thread I found on ebay. I'm not sure that it's enough that they'll really been seen in the dark, but it was worth a try. And who knew they even make such things? If anyone finds the little reflector things (like what people put on their mailboxes or at the end of the driveway to mark it) that are smaller than a dime, let me know!!

No comments: